-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
AUSCERT External Security Bulletin Redistribution
ESB-2005.0310 -- Sun Alert Notification 57760
Sun Java System Web Server Denial-of-Service Vulnerability
15 April 2005
AusCERT Security Bulletin Summary
Product: Sun Java System Web Server 6.0 Service Pack 7 and prior
Publisher: Sun Microsystems
Operating System: Windows
Impact: Denial of Service
- --------------------------BEGIN INCLUDED TEXT--------------------
Sun(sm) Alert Notification
* Sun Alert ID: 57760
* Synopsis: Sun Java System Web Server Denial-of-Service
* Category: Security
* Product: Sun Java System Web Server
* BugIDs: 4852204
* Avoidance: Upgrade
* State: Resolved
* Date Released: 13-Apr-2005
* Date Closed: 13-Apr-2005
* Date Modified:
1. Impact A vulnerability in certain releases of the Sun Java System
Web Server (formerly Sun ONE Web Server and iPlanet Web Server) may
allow a remote user to cause the web server to become unresponsive,
causing a Denial-of-Service (DOS) condition.
2. Contributing Factors This issue can occur in the following
* Sun Java System Web Server 6.0 Service Pack 7 and earlier (Windows
1. Sun Java System Web Server versions 6.1.x are not affected by this
2. This issue only affects Sun Java System Web Servers running on the
3. Symptoms The server becomes unresponsive.
Solution Summary Top
4. Relief/Workaround To work around the described issue, sites may
wish to temporarily disable Java "globally" for a particular webserver
instance, by doing the following:
1. To start an Admin Server instance, open a Windows command prompt
and use the command line to start or stop an Admin Server, as in the
1) Change to the installation directory for the Web Server Admin
Server. For example, using the default directory:
% cd \Sun\jstudio_04Q4\WebServer6_2004q1\https-admserv
2) Start the Web Server Admin Server process:
1. Use the menu from the "Start" then "Programs" selections, or
Double-click the "Start Web Server Administration Server" icon (if
installed on the Desktop), then:
2. Log in to the admin tool by going to the http://<hostname>:<port>
3. Select the Admin Server instance and click the "Manage" button.
4. Click the "Java" tab and open the "Enable/Disable Servlet/JSP" link
5. Uncheck "Enable Java Globally"
6. Click "OK" and "Apply All Changes" then restart the instance
Note: If you disable Java in this fashion, you will no longer be able
to run Java applications and it will be necessary to upgrade to the
latest service pack. Please use the link below for Service Pack
5. Resolution This issue is addressed in the following releases:
* Sun Java System Web Server 6.0 Service Pack 8 and later
Sun Java System Web Server 6.0 Service Pack 8 is available for
This Sun Alert notification is being provided to you on an "AS IS"
basis. This Sun Alert notification may contain information provided by
third parties. The issues described in this Sun Alert notification may
or may not impact your system(s). Sun makes no representations,
warranties, or guarantees as to the information contained herein. ANY
AND ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR
NON-INFRINGEMENT, ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED. BY ACCESSING THIS DOCUMENT
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT SUN SHALL IN NO EVENT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,
INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES THAT ARISE
OUT OF YOUR USE OR FAILURE TO USE THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN.
This Sun Alert notification contains Sun proprietary and confidential
information. It is being provided to you pursuant to the provisions of
your agreement to purchase services from Sun, or, if you do not have
notification may only be used for the purposes contemplated by these
Copyright 2000-2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc., 4150 Network Circle, Santa
Clara, CA 95054 U.S.A. All rights reserved.
SunSolve Feedback | Company Info | Contact |
Â© 2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
- --------------------------END INCLUDED TEXT--------------------
You have received this e-mail bulletin as a result of your organisation's
registration with AusCERT. The mailing list you are subscribed to is
maintained within your organisation, so if you do not wish to continue
receiving these bulletins you should contact your local IT manager. If
you do not know who that is, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
and we will forward your request to the appropriate person.
NOTE: Third Party Rights
This security bulletin is provided as a service to AusCERT's members. As
AusCERT did not write the document quoted above, AusCERT has had no control
over its content. The decision to follow or act on information or advice
contained in this security bulletin is the responsibility of each user or
organisation, and should be considered in accordance with your organisation's
site policies and procedures. AusCERT takes no responsibility for consequences
which may arise from following or acting on information or advice contained in
this security bulletin.
NOTE: This is only the original release of the security bulletin. It may
not be updated when updates to the original are made. If downloading at
a later date, it is recommended that the bulletin is retrieved directly
from the author's website to ensure that the information is still current.
Contact information for the authors of the original document is included
in the Security Bulletin above. If you have any questions or need further
information, please contact them directly.
Previous advisories and external security bulletins can be retrieved from:
If you believe that your computer system has been compromised or attacked in
any way, we encourage you to let us know by completing the secure National IT
Incident Reporting Form at:
Australian Computer Emergency Response Team
The University of Queensland
Internet Email: email@example.com
Facsimile: (07) 3365 7031
Telephone: (07) 3365 4417 (International: +61 7 3365 4417)
AusCERT personnel answer during Queensland business hours
which are GMT+10:00 (AEST).
On call after hours for member emergencies only.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----